Senior Human Resources Manager
A law firm with offices in Washington, D.C. is seeking a full-time Senior Human Resources Manager. This person will report directly to the Chief Human Resources Officer this role will help lead and execute HR projects, ensure legal compliance, manage the annual staff performance management process and compensation administration, guide talent management, and help design and deliver transformational strategies. The Senior Human Resources Manager will manage resources and efforts to deliver on HR operational responsibilities, including scoping, design, development, implementation, administration and/or
continuous improvement of HR operations programs, processes, and policies.
- Works with CHRO to assess future talent needs and implement proactive strategies to meet business needs
- Monitors information from key indicators, such as performance reviews, exit interviews, hiring outcomes, and employee relations outcomes) and uses this data to identify and recommend organizational improvement needs that are culturally fitting
- Manage the full life-cycle staff performance management process
- Helps to design and implement career pathing and growth opportunities
- Consults with managers on the development of teams and individuals, and delivers coaching where appropriate
- Manages employee relations issues and makes recommendations to management related to the performance management process
- Keeps CHRO apprised of employee relations and escalating performance issues; supports and/or provides backup to the staff termination process
- Provides guidance and oversight for staff morale initiatives and coordinates with other HR team members; makes recommendations for morale activities as necessary
- Manages compensation administration program, including annual performance merit/bonus processes
- Leads the staff compensation process life cycle, to include assisting with new hire salary recommendations, promotional and market adjustment recommendations, benchmarking, salary survey completion, annual salary budgeting and estimating, staff salary change notifications, etc.
- Works with Staff Recruiting Manager and chiefs/directors/department managers to update and draft new job descriptions.
- Works closely with Staff Recruiting Manager to ensures effective execution of the employee on- and off-boarding processes; utilizes technology to best automate these processes
- Conducts research and analysis, external benchmarking, and makes recommendations for improved programs and HR solutions. Prepares business cases to support decision making.
- Seeks to improve HR processes and efficiencies. Utilizes technology solutions where appropriate.
- Seeks feedback from internal customers to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Develops reporting and analytics on HR operations and projects.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to HR, reducing legal risks, and ensuring regulatory compliance. Identifies areas of need and drives the plan for full global compliance.
- Works with CHRO to ensure the firm remains compliant with employment laws; supports and monitors plans as necessary.
- Ensures manuals, policies and procedures are developed, continuously monitored and updated with HR best practices aligned with firm culture.
- Works with leadership and HR managers to ensure HR policies and practices remain competitive; makes recommendations for improvements as needed. Monitors industry and best practice trends.
- Acts as lead point of contact for managers for policy, practice and compliance questions.
- Ensures HR documents are processed correctly and in a timely manner according to legal requirements.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Business or Organizational Development is required; Master’s in Human Resources Management, Business or related field is preferred.
- 5+ years experience in human resources management or office management in a professional services environment, ideally a law firm.
- 5+ years experience with employee relations, conducting investigations and fact-finding meetings, employee performance coaching, and conducting terminations. Ability to build relationships and trust; demonstrates an approachability and an open-door policy.
- SPHR/PHR, SHRM-CP, or related certification preferred.
- Strong MS Office skills, particularly Excel, as well as HRIS systems, ideally Dayforce.
- Strong skills in HR metrics/analysis, including compensation analysis and benchmarking required.
- Demonstrated strengths in project management from design to execution; ability to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously.