Network Security Engineer
An international law firm with offices in Washington, D.C. is seeking a full-time Network Security Engineer to join their IT department. The Network Security Engineer is a technical security expert responsible for supporting network security operations, engineering, and architecture functions. Under the direction of the Director of Information Security & Compliance, the Network Security Engineer helps to ensure the overall security posture focusing on the network security infrastructure, and is expected to be involved in the day-to-day security operations.
• Performing security log and event analysis, and taking appropriate action as directed or required to address security risk issues or events/incidents.
• Monitoring and proactively executing the vulnerability management program to prevent or reduce IT hygiene risk issues from impacting production systems.
• Maintaining and managing security toolsets that help to mitigate or respond to security events and incidents.
• Supporting and leading security incident response and investigation efforts as directed.
• Helping to validate and track IT operational activities to ensure compliance with policy, standards, and other applicable requirements, or as directed by organizational needs.
• Researching and identifying security vulnerabilities and relevant industry/cybersecurity trends for follow-up and action.
• Regularly reporting and tracking of IT security events and metrics along with remediation activities.
Network Security Engineering & Architecture
• Participating and/or assisting as necessary in the design, configuration, implementation and maintenance of network security platforms and their associated software, such as routers, switches, firewalls, intrusion detection/intrusion prevention, and other relevant security tools as directed or appropriate.
• Performing regular review and ongoing assessment of firewall, intrusion detection/intrusion prevention, SIEM, VPN, SSL, and other network component policies.
• Ensuring network security best practices are implemented through auditing: router, switch, firewall configurations, change control, and monitoring.
• Actively participating in the enterprise Change Control Board (CCB).
• Conducting research and providing recommendations on methods, software, and technologies to mitigate risk exposures.
• Helping to develop and writing security policies, standards and procedures to maintain an appropriate security posture and/or compliance with applicable requirements
• 3+ years of experience in Information Security or related work experience.
• Four year college degree preferred; equivalent experience will be considered.
• Knowledge of security network devices and other associated security networking hardware/software tools - including firewalls, switches, routers, vlans, and VPN.
• Demonstrated understanding of information security concepts, standards, practices, including but not limited to firewalls, intrusion prevention and detection, TCP/IP and related protocols, device monitoring and log management and event monitoring / reporting
• Experience in LAN and WAN technologies, network design, network management, etc.
• Strong understanding of TCP/IP, subnetting, routing, access control lists, firewalls, VPN, NAT and network traffic analysis.
• Strong experience and detailed technical knowledge in security engineering, system and network security, authentication and security protocols, cryptography, and application security.