Business Development Manager
An international law firm with offices in Washington, D.C. is seeking a full-time Business Development Manager to join their team. This person will be responsible for managing the creation and implementation of the Government Contracts Practice and the Aerospace, National Security and Defense Industry business development strategies. The Business Development Manager will work closely with the Practice/Industry group leaders and members to develop plans, execute pitches and proposals, and manage the day-to-day business development activities to ultimately grow the Firm’s practices.
• Serves as a trusted advisor to the lawyers in the Government Contracts practice group. Collaborates with the attorneys to
develop business plans and marketing strategies for implementation.
• Works with Practice and Industry Groups to identify trends and opportunities, and develops new business approaches and
targeted cross selling opportunities. Creates customized pitch material for specific opportunities.
• Manages RFPs, pitches and proposals from initial planning with the attorney team through to final submission.
• Collaborates with Director of Business Development to evaluate opportunities and develop multi-disciplinary new business
pitches and responses to RFP’s.
• Coordinates with event planning staff to identify, sponsor or create targeted industry conferences, in-house client seminars/webinars, speaking engagements and other special events for Practice and Industry Groups. Identifies targets and works with Mailing List team to identify or create appropriate lists.
• Identifies work or issues that are potentially media-worthy for the Media Relations team to implement PR, directories and other media placements for the assigned practice groups.
• Coordinates with the Marketing Communications team in the development of marketing materials and website content including practice area descriptions, brochures and PowerPoint presentations.
• Supervises and mentors Business Development Coordinator and Assistant activities including pitch and proposal materials; updates to practice descriptions, experience items and attorney bios; directory submissions and event logistics.
• Four-year degree required. Masters or J.D. degree preferred.
• 7+ years of marketing experience in professional services or law firm background preferred, particularly in government contracts or related area.
• Experience with key research tools and databases, including experience, billing, client contacts and other web based research tools.
• Experience with InterAction and Marketing databases required.
• Persuasive writing skills for presentations, proposals and other marketing materials.
• Capable of handling many projects simultaneously.
• Knowledge of business development process in a services industry required.
• Experience in budget planning and client account management critical.